[Foundation-l] Organization of News Ombudsmen

Lord Voldemort lordbishopvoldemort at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 18:01:02 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Having read this description of the role, I would say the name
> "Ombudsman" is wildly inaccurate. How about something approximating
> "User Advocate"?

No, it is not a "user advocate" though. It is an independent
investigator (or group of investigators), assigned to check into cases
of reported abuse.  It is my understanding that these reports can come
from anyone, user or not.  And in fact, the ombudsman committee may be
more important to the WMF when the report of abuse _does_ come from
outside the Wikimedia projects. Anthere, is this close?  --LV