[Foundation-l] Please implement the [[Wikiversity:Main_Page]]

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 15:13:42 UTC 2006

On 7/21/06, Eric R. Meyers <ermeyers at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Hi Cormac and Anthere,
>
> First, I'd like to amplify what I wrote earlier:
> > ... bring this good thing to fruition, or just kill it outright, so that it
> , KNOWLEDGE,
> > can find a better home in this world.

Yes, that's what we're doing right now, and have been doing all along.
I believe we're close to actually setting it up now - bringing it to
fruition.

[snip]

> I'm truly fighting with myself to find the right way to get what is in my
> brain into your brains, most efficiently, and vice versa.

If you find a way of doing that, it may be an addition to Wikiversity,
or possibly even a way of making you rich :-)

> I began editing
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Ermeyers last night to try to begin
> informing you of what I'm actually trying to do with The Perl Wiki, in
> "particular."
>
> This "particular" wiki is going to be the central wiki for the "particular"
> community (a global community), and it's "particular" system and it's
> "particular" methods are going to fully integrate with everything "generally"
> available from Wikimedia to the fullest extent possible.  The "particular"
> community is going to be the main source of "particular" Expertise, Data,
> Information and Knowledge, and the "particular" community will have its
> Teachers and its Learners at its "particular" University tied right into
> Wikiversity and its extremely valuable "general" Educational Resources.  If
> this "particular" University manages to get itself accredited (etc.), in the
> future, on its own, then that will be an absolutely great thing to happen for
> that "particular" community.
>
> About The Perl Wiki, or "The Glue Wiki":
>
> This central Wiki is going to be like "The Free Encyclopedia" of Perl.
>
> This central Wiki is going to be like "The Free Dictionary" of Perl.
>
> This central Wiki is going to be like "The Free Library" of Perl.
>
> This central Wiki is going to be like "The Free Debate Forum" of Perl.
>
> PAST:           This central Wiki is going to tell "The Perl Legacy."
>
> PRESENT:        This central Wiki is going to tell "The Perl Story."
>
> FUTURE:         This central Wiki is going to lead "The Perl Future."
>
> This central Wiki has an free and open Steering Committee forum.
>
> How will a "particular" community work everyone?  That's why I originally came
> here to ask my "particular" questions to the Wikimedia experts on
> foundation-l, just so that I begin prototyping one for my own "particular"
> community interests.
>
> I hope this helps you Cormac.:)
>
> Eric

It does help somewhat, yes. I wish you all the best with your
community on Wikia, and look forward to seeing how you can collaborate
with Wikiversity. We will need to draw from many strands of expertise
(not _only_ university professors) to make this work - and your
community should be able to contribute. I would also like to see
Wikiversity facilitating and entering into mutually beneficial
collaborations with people and institutions not connected with
Wikimedia. However, as you can imagine, my focus right now is on what
we need to do in order to build Wikiversity itself to the best it can
possibly be.

Thanks,
Cormac