[Foundation-l] Update on ombudsman issue

Essjay essjaywiki at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 19:53:31 UTC 2006

Oldak Quill wrote:
>> Why not just ask nicely (which has been done before), and if he says
>> no, ask him to place a big, flashy, gawdy, super-duper shiny box near
>> the top of his pages explaining that he is not the _official_
>> ombudsman with a link to the real users' pages.  And if he refuses
>> that, tell him sorry, block the account based on an inappropriate
>> username, and be on with it.  Too harsh?  --LV
>>

> Well, there is no reason to block his account and deprive him of his
> past edits, whether he complies or not. We will simply have to force
> rename him (User:The  User Previously known as Ombudsman).

I may have been mislead on this (not a good situation for the bureaucrat
doing 95% of the namechanges on en.wiki) but my understanding is that
en.wiki does not permit forced name changes. Barring an order from the
Arbitration Committee, Jimbo Wales, or the Foundation Board, I just
don't think we can do it. I'd be interested to hear from Angela, who is
also an en.wiki bureaucrat and has far more inside experience than I do.

Essjay

--
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Essjay
Wikipedia:The Free Encyclopedia