[Foundation-l] Help requested on Commons copyright woes

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 13:47:15 UTC 2006

On 7/20/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Photographs of copyrighted statues and of objects featuring
> copyrighted logos and images (Simpson's dolls) should be taken down
> immediately. I think photos of 2D  and 3D PD art rarely can have
> claims of copyright, but I'm not a lawyer.

IMNAL

But as far as I understand 3D certianly can under US law (I think the
court decided that it could based on camera angels and lighting and
such. I belive the case involved a photo of a statue in a graveyard).
Photos of 2D objects are more complex since no one appears to want to
risk a case in that area (situation is even worse in the UK).

--
geni