[Foundation-l] re GFDL publisher credit

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Jul 13 22:51:05 UTC 2006

> > Anthony
> > <mailto:foundation-l%40wikimedia.org?Subject=%5BFoundation-l%5D%20GFDL%20publisher%20credit&In-Reply-To=44B43991.5060907%40telus.net>
> > wrote

> >> If it has been made public it has been published.  The real question
> >> here is _who_ did the publishing.
> >>
> >{{citationneeded}}
> >

> "For he bat wil pupplische ony thing to make it openly knowen, he wil
> make it
> to ben cryed and pronounced in the myddel place of a Town" - John
> Mandeville, "Travels", 14th century.  The basic meaning has been around
> for  a long time.
>
> Ec

And FWIW, the US Code defines "publication" as "the distribution of
copies or phonorecords of a work to the public by sale or other
transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending. The offering
to distribute copies or phonorecords to a group of persons for
purposes of further distribution, public performance, or public
display, constitutes publication. A public performance or display of a
work does not of itself constitute publication."

Wikimedia doesn't transfer the ownership of anything, and there is no
rental, lease, or lending.  But then again, by that definition
*nothing* distributed over the Internet is published, and I doubt a
court would agree with that.

Anthony