[Foundation-l] Cherokee Wikipedia Name Suggestion - VOTE PLEASE AND SOME ACTION PERHAPS

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Jul 13 20:24:44 UTC 2006

By the way,

Since this thread originally asked for a name change of the Cherokee
Wikipedia, do we have conencus yet? I have been positing
translated articles to the site and I have noticed editors are beginning
to join the site and I am seeing more activity. I need the following
if you want me to start uploaidng hundreds of articles in Cherokee.

1. A final decision on the name change (I would like to see "Aniyvwiya
Gadugi" as the new name since this name will create
the impression the site is endowed with the spiritual energy of our
people and serve to attract Cherokee to the site, just a suggestion, BTW.
It's a cultural thing and the disclaimer ("We are not endoring the
Cherokee Belief System in making this the name for the site, we did so to
make the site more familiar and comfortable for Native Cherokee authors,
etc." -- end quote). The name for "Cherokee Books"
"Tsalagi digoweli" should be reserved for a Cherokee Wikibooks site when
the time comes.

2. Integration of the chr2syl program so people can actually USE the
site from a regular PC keyboard. Most Cherokee edit in text in any
event and we convert to syllabary with custom tools and fonts, but the
average joe Schmoe Cherokee wil only have a text based computer.

I think Fred Bauder would like to see the site come to life, and I know
Danny and Brad also have such a view. Can we move forward
please. Time for a Vote.

Thanks for the consideration.

Jeff