[Foundation-l] Printed on Demand Books from Wikipedia articles

Volker Haas volker.haas at brainbot.com
Thu Jul 13 10:45:58 UTC 2006

Hi Robert

Robert Scott Horning wrote:

> I am curious how you plan to compile these books in a format that looks
> good on paper and not strictly as a web format.  While this can be
> automated to an extent, I do think there are some issues that come from
> trying to move content from a web format to a printed page, and not all
> of these can be completely automated.
As you have pointed out, an automatic conversion of html (or mediawiki
markup) into latex can not be automated in a way that the book is
absolutely perfect.
But right now we are pretty satisfied with the results - even though we
are still working on improvments of the conversion.
The conversion is done with a parser we developed from scratch - as
mentioned in a previous post. The mediawiki markup is translated
into an internal representation which then gets transformed to latex (to
be more precise "context") - this is the hard part. It is slightly easier to
transform the internal representation back to html since some css-style
information can be maintained.

> As I havn't been able to preview
> a book yet,

I hope you did not encounter any technical problems with the pediapress
website?

- Volker