[Foundation-l] Cherokee Wikipedia Name Suggestion

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Jul 12 20:51:43 UTC 2006

geni wrote:

>On 7/12/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:
>

>>vgatahvi anotlvsgv gadugi
>>
>>"making knowledge and working together"
>>

>Is there a way of switching that to something like recording
>knowledge/teachings while working together? "Making" conflicts with no
>original research,

Sure. "giving", "writing/recording" and "making" are verb roots in
Cherokee here are some exmaples to give you an idea (I give to you
something (person) (tsi-ne-ha), I give something flexible and non-living
(tsi-nv-ne-ha), I give something liquid (tsi-ne-ne-ha), I give something
linear and nonliving (tsi-de-ha))

vgatahvi anowelisgv gadugi

"I am writing/recording knowlege and working together"

vgatahvi anadanehv gadugi

"I am giving knowlege and working together"

>>I personally am embarassed by the name -- its dorky, wrong, and
>>offensive to some folks.
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>It is a proper noun though.

Not in Cherokee its not.

>It isn't as if the compound parts of it
>are really English words

Wiki is Hawiian for "fast"

>(wiki probably is these days but pedia is
>Greek if it is anything).
>
>Just avoid refernces to a creator (risks
>anoying athiests)

The language is what it is. The word for "person" is "yvwi" -- "it has a
spirit" or "it is a sentient being".

nigo disgesdi (that's just the way it is)

> and Cherokee people (since non Cherokee people who
>speak the langauge are of course welcome).

They are welcome, but they had better be prepared to learn Cherokee. :-)

Jeff