[Foundation-l] Cherokee Wikipedia Name Suggestion

Lorenzarius lorenzarius at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:08:13 UTC 2006

On 7/13/06, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thinking about agglutinative languages, do you know what the Japanese
> Wikipedia is called (I would imagine that it too avoids
> transliteration).

The Japanese language readily accepts foreign words because of their
extensive use of their simple method of transliteration. The Japanese
Wikipedia is called ウィキペディア, or Uikipedia in romanji.

The Chinese Wikipedia however, did not transliterate the name
directly, because for every sound there're multiple Chinese characters
that fit the sound. Therefore the Chinese Wikipedians instead tried to
find a name that is similar to the "wiki" sound and actually have some
meaning to it. You can read more on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Wikipedia#Naming .

For the Cherokee Wikipedia, I would suggest that they follow their
convention on transliteration. It would be nice to have a sound
similar to "Wikipedia", for it would give a sense of unity and would
be consistent with other language Wikipedia. But I think the more
important thing to consider is that the name would be comfortable for
the users and speakers of the language.

Cheers
--
Larry Lo