[Foundation-l] MediaWiki 1.7.1 and Wikipedia

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Jul 10 20:32:14 UTC 2006

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
> This needs to be reviewed. Running 1.8 on your site is not an issue, but
> creating XML dumps
> which are incompatible with released versions is. This is what needs to
> be addressed.

The XML dump format has not changed since 1.5, and should remain backwards
compatible for the forseeable future.

For wiki-agnostic republishing purposes, we're considering making more easily
used HTML dumps available.

If you want the wikitext source, though, you do need to keep in mind that
extensions, bug fixes, etc will continue to evolve along with Wikimedia's needs,
so the exact rendering of given input text may necessarily change a bit over time.

If you have a specific concern, please let us know.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)