[Foundation-l] The Perl Wiki

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Sun Jul 9 08:36:56 UTC 2006

Hi Mr. Irwin!

On Sunday 09 July 2006 08:00, Michael R. Irwin wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > snip
> >

> >Actually, my Perl for Newbies series of Presentations is not part of
> >wikibooks. I wrote it before I was aware of wikipedia and possibly before
> >wikibooks existed. It was written using Quad-Pres, which is a sort-of home
> >grown HTML slides generator.
> >
> >Like I said, the text and code in the slides are public domain, so they
> > could be integrated into separate works. Part of them were already
> > reformated into tutorials or howto's as part of http://perlmeme.org/. [1]
> >
> >I have some ideas for a 5th or 6th presentation or perhaps I need to beef
> > up my 4th presentatio, but I'll have to start writing them.
>
> Hi Shlomi,
>
> You might consider developing some lesson plans or placing your slide
> presentations into the public commons under an FDL at an appropriate
> location in Wikiversity.    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity

The presentations are under the Public Domain (as defined by Creative Commons
and as I and most other people understand it.) As such they can be converted
into any other licence, including the GNU FDL. I'd prefer that people who
redistribute and make modifications to them keep them under the PD, but they
are naturally allowed to.

What do you mean by "lesson plans"? Also what exactly is the wikiversity? I
could not understand what it is from the description on the homepage.

> We do not have formal approval to proceed yet but an administrator at
> Wikibooks (Robert Horning) has articulated an excellent plan to
> duplicate the Wikibooks wiki at the en.wikiversity.org domain and then
> delete or modify inappropriate materials and link structures in both
> wikis to minimize rework once we have authority from the Wikimedia
> Foundation Board to proceed with Wikiversity on Wikimedia Foundation
> infrastructure.

I see.

I should note that one thing that may be missing from my Perl slides are
exercises for people to perform by themselves.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish      shlomif at iglu.org.il

bottom 5%.