[Foundation-l] Offering Wikibooks content for sale

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Wed Jul 5 15:53:32 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>The important message I want to give here: this is not an issue of the
>foundation versus the community, but rather about an individual versus
>both the community and the foundation.  We should have been told first,
>there should have been a discussion and some consideration given to a
>number of important factors.

I agree only in the very narrow case of the use of the trademarked name
"Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.", and possibly any logos if they were used.
I hope that was the complaint to Lula.

In the more general case, the entire *point* of the GFDL is that you
*don't* need the permission or approval of the original author to
republish in any form you see fit.  It might be nice to consult with
them, but we absolutely can not and should not prevent people from
unilaterally printing books.

-Mark