[Foundation-l] Wikimedia visual identity guidelines

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 10:20:51 UTC 2006

On 6/30/06, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:

> First. At this stage, the Wikimedia Visual Identity guidelines do
> indeed apply to the Wikimedia Logo only.
>
> Second. There is a fundamental difference between the Wikimedia logo
> and the Wikipedia logo in this that the Wikimedia logo still needs to
> be established in the mind of the general public. It represents the
> organisation, and the wish behind the Wikimedia Identity guidelines
> was to make sure that no derivation of the logo would be used to ends
> that do not serve the organisation, or for misrepresentation. The
> Wikipedia logo is well established and recognizable, even when
> transformed.

I noticed today Wikimedia visual identity guidelines has no
translation, at least on the foundation site. For me it seems to
worthy to translate in several languages. Or not?

If we have translation(s) a certain policy, however, it will be useful
to determine whether the translation is as official as the original
one(s). Which case is that? Or can we simply say "as for all policies
of the Wikimedia Foundation, basically you should consider the
original one(s) as official"?

--
Aphaia
aka