[Foundation-l] Publishing

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed Jul 5 01:03:47 UTC 2006

Anthere wrote:

>Also, unless I am wrong in what defines an "author", I
>see not why the Foundation would be listed as a
>co-author of the books, or of any wikibooks in the
>future.

In part I am responsible for this chain of events as far as claiming the
WMF as an "author". I'm still not convinced that the Foundation isn't an
author or at least a copyright claimant, but I was trying to make a
politically neutral sentiment when I created the copyright notice that
the Wikijunior books have which simply stated the following:

"© Copyright 2004–2006, Wikimedia Foundation Inc. and contributing
authors, all rights reserved. Permission is granted to copy, distribute
and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Document
License, version 1.2."

I have tried to solicit comments about this wording, and the page it is
on
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikijunior_Solar_System/Copyright_Notice)
dates back to over a year ago when I first put it up. I'm sorry that it
has created this kind of problem. All this user did was use the WMF name
as one of the "authors", just as the copyright notice claimed.

I know this was a small detail at the time, but it is the kind of minor
detail that can create huge problems if not done correctly. If there are
any reasonable suggestions on how to change the wording of this
copyright slug and what should be listed here instead, it would be
appreciated. This is a Wiki page and thus is editable by ordinary
Wikimedia users as well

--
Robert Scott Horning