[Foundation-l] Offering Wikibooks content for sale

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jul 4 18:06:35 UTC 2006

On 7/4/06, Robert Scott Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> Essentially, this is an issue where there are people with
> editing/processing skills that are not developers, and part of the gulf
> that seperates the Wikimedia contributor/editors from the MediaWiki
> developers.  Certainly an "automated" process would be desireable, but
> at the moment we are doing as best as we can with the tools currently
> available.  Making a Wiki-syntax to PDF converter would be a non-trivial
> task that could be a whole major software project unto itself.

I was thinking more like a wiki-syntax to LaTeX converter then the
LaTeX could be edited collaboratively then converted to PDF.  But I
didn't realize the current PDF had been generated with Open Office.
swx certainly doesn't lend itself to collaboration through the web in
the way I was thinking about.

As for the GFDL, I suppose PDF itself could be considered a
"transparent" format.

Anthony