[Foundation-l] GFDL publisher credit (was: Wikibooks for sale)

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Jul 4 16:44:18 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On 7/4/06, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>

>>It would also be nice
>>to once and for all answer the question as to whether or not Wikimedia
>>claims to be the "publisher" as the term is used in the GFDL.

Under US Law, Wikimedia is the "publisher" because they create
"collections" of works of the
Wikipedia site and "publish" them to the world as XML dumps. Whether
electronic or in book form, they
are publishing. This being said, given the nebulous and undefined state
of internet IP law,
whether they are a publisher or not, there's no legal precedence to
determine liability, so at present
they are operating in an area of experimental law on the frontiers of
human knowledge.

Jeff