[Foundation-l] Offering Wikibooks content for sale

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Jul 4 11:38:11 UTC 2006

Kim Bruning wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 10:02:04PM -0400, daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
>> Furthermore, the content was developed as a result of a grant made to the
>> Foundation with the stated goal of creating *free* content.
>
> Just checking: Free as in speech, not as in beer, right?

Absolutely.

Put simply: we should welcome developments such as this, this is exactly
what we intend people to do with our content, and there is absolutely
nothing wrong with people taking this content, packaging it, and selling it.

There CAN BE something very wrong with using wikibooks itself to
advertise/promote a third-party venture, and there CAN BE something very
wrong with using the community's names to promote such work, but the
exact parameters of these things is something that we have to feel our
way forward with carefully.

My feeling here is that with some minor adjustments and communication
about what is going on, this can go forward without difficulty.

--Jimbo