[Foundation-l] Offering Wikibooks content for sale

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Jul 4 03:00:08 UTC 2006

On 7/3/06, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
> Of all the books to come out of print-on-demand, this one is possibly the
> most problematic. I am certainly not a lawyer but, as I see it, not only is it
> using the name of the Foundation without the explicit permission of the
> Foundation (and hence, in violation of  our trademark), it is attributing  the
> content to the Foundation. This, in turn, could make us liable for any  copyvios
> in the book (text and images). Despite numerous requests from Print on  Demand
> publishers (including Lulu), the Foundation has consistently avoided such  an
> arrangement for precisely these reasons.

[[Wikibooks:Copyrights]] needs to be changed to reflect this.  It
currently states (among other things):

"You may use the same title as the Wikibooks book and/or module(s) but
trademark law prevents you from advertising the Wikibooks or Wikimedia
names without our written permission. This does not prevent you from
giving either Wikibooks or Wikimedia credit for the work by name; as a
matter of fact we very much appreciate all the credit we can get (this
is a separate issue from author credit; see below). But it does
legally prevent you from leading your readers to believe that your
version of our work is in fact an official Wikibooks or Wikimedia
publication."

This paragraph is somewhat contradictory, but it does explicitly say
that trademark law does not prevent giving Wikimedia credit for the
work by name.

Anthony