[Foundation-l] Proposal for Wikipedia in European Portuguese

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Jul 3 23:36:42 UTC 2006

James Hare wrote:

>The only reason why I can see two different Portuguese wikis is because the
>two (majority) versions -- European Portuguese and Brazillian Portuguese --
>are very different. Are they?
>
>On 7/2/06, Luiz Augusto <lugusto at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Sorry for my English. Recently, a newbie from Portuguese Wikipedia has
>>proposed on meta a vote to create Wikipedia in european portuguese. He
>>don't
>>talked about it with any editor from pt:Wikipedia and that proposal has
>>discovered by me, accidentally. I send a note in Village Pump from
>>pt:wikipedia. More than 30 editors has voted against that proposal.
>>Unconsoled with this, he was suspended that voting and is imposing to, in
>>new vote about it, only europeans speakers can vote on it.
>>
>>Is all ok to the current rules for request a new language?

As a fluent portuguese speaker, I have no idea why a vote of this nature
must be restricted to only those who come from a certain country or
continent.  I am, however, opposed to this idea, as well as the earlier
Brazilian Portuguese Wikipedia proposal that also failed.  To me this
sounds like somebody trying to establish rules that would make his pet
project work, when there is strong opposition to the idea.  I'll put
more of my thoughts on the new language poll page to keep down bandwidth.

--
Robert Scott Horning