[Foundation-l] announce-l and "Wikizine"?

oscar oscar.wiki at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 00:20:49 UTC 2006

hi brion, angela,

On 1/26/06, oscar <oscar.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/24/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> >
> > It seems a couple folks took over the abandoned announce-l mailing list
> > a couple
> > months ago, sending community updates branded as "Wikizine" on it. The
> > domain
> > name wikizine.org is being used to redirect to the list subscription
> > page, and
> > some links & an email address at that domain are used.
> >
> > http://wikizine.org/
> > http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikizine
>

> well, walter had the idea of launching a wikizine on announce-l, i
> supported the idea and asked elian for permission. she changed the
> list-owners to the current situation fyi.
>
> grtz, oscar
>
> Now, having some actual Wikimedia info on a mailing list is pretty cool.
> > :) But
> > I've got a couple organizational questions I want to toss out to the
> > broader
> > community:
> >
> > * It looks like Walter Vermeir owns this wikizine.org domain himself.
> > What's the
> > status of it? If Walter loses interest will it continue? Who'll be
> > responsible
> > for renewing it?

btw the idea is "bottom up", so wikizine is not an official wikimedia
foundation thing, with no official status at all, just supported by some
*nerds* such as i am ;-)

* I received a request to make a mailing list for a Romanian-language
> > Wikizine.
> > Are we going to add more such lists, and if so should we do so under the
> > 'announce' name set or 'wikizine'?

let them create a similar *zine* thing if they want, why not? after all, all
"more or less reliable communication" will enhance growth of the projects
imho.

* Some 'marketing' ;) This has been going on for two or three months and I
> > never
> > noticed. Was I just asleep at the wheel, or are a lot of people missing
> > out who
> > might be interested?

sorry for our insufficient pr... you are imho not asleep at the wheel - lol!
- but probably immersed in improving other parts of the car, aren't you? ;-)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

grtz, oscar