[Foundation-l] Fate of "Simple English"

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sat Feb 25 16:30:06 UTC 2006

Alison Wheeler wrote:

> why not consider it as targetted at that other group who *need* simple
> English ...
>
> Children.

There are also books in simplified language for people with
various kinds of reading/understanding handicap, so that is also a
possible audience.  But either way, it ruins the wiki concept that
the readers are the writers.  You cannot make a useful childrens
encyclopedia by letting 10 year olds publish their school papers
on dinosaurs.  Rather, you need pretty good authors, possibly with
teacher training, who don't only know the subject, but who also
know what to cut away to make it useful for children.  I wouldn't
say it's impossible, but I think it could be hard to achieve.

"Your parents and teachers can edit this page now."

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)