[Foundation-l] Re: Copyright complaints

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 14 03:53:53 UTC 2006

sannse wrote:

> Michael Snow wrote:
>
>> Dealing with fair use images is slightly different from normal
>> copyright problems, I would think. Since the fairness depends on the
>> type of use, it ought to be sorted out where the image is being used.
>> If there's an inappropriate claim of fair use somewhere, remove the
>> image from the article (or user page, as the case may be). Acting
>> unilaterally in that regard is just being bold, doesn't require
>> adminship, and is not something to punish unless you have an edit war
>> about it.
>>
>> If the removal of the image holds, then the rest is really quite
>> simple. Once the image is an orphan, there is no longer any basis for
>> a fair use claim, and it can be deleted using the normal processes.
>> No need to punish anyone for unilateral action.
>>
>> --Michael Snow
>
> I guess you haven't seen the recent flaps and fracas over fair-use
> images on user pages.  Removing them is highly likely to cause an edit
> war, with a lot of people under the firm impression that "fair use"
> means "I can use it because it's pretty".

Actually, I'm aware of this, and it's a big reason why I recently argued
on another of our lists that people should be more assertive about
editing the user pages of others.

> The sides are sharply divided and are not likely to come to any happy
> resolution any time soon - unless there is a clear statement from
> someone appropriate as to what we should do in such cases.
>
> If one of the legal team could say specifically "fair use images are
> fine on personal user pages" or "fair use images must be removed from
> personal user pages" then maybe the argument will be over and all the
> drama will stop.

The problem with this solution is twofold. The first issue is that just
in terms of the legal analysis, it's difficult to make such categorical
statements about fair use without knowing the nature of the particular
use. The second follows somewhat from the first, in that I'm skeptical
that such a statement from me alone would accomplish this. For now, a
policy declaration of this nature probably still needs to come from Jimmy.

There are also other principles in play here. One is that Wikipedia is
here to write an encyclopedia; another is that we are not here to
provide free personal web hosting. Fair use images on user pages have no
connection to the first principle, and violate the second. Between that
and the legal issues, I certainly do recommend having a policy that fair
use images generally should not appear on user pages. And I'm sure that
people would have the good sense to recognize the rare exception when an
image is, say, part of a draft encyclopedia article being worked on
temporarily in user space. But I can't force people to adopt my
recommendation.

--Michael Snow