[Foundation-l] File format policy

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Feb 12 12:37:01 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

> "It is allowed to upload files in patent-encumbered formats like MP3
> or the MPEG-4 codecs only provided that a version in a non-encumbered
> format is also uploaded. Files which are only provided in
> patent-encumbered formats should be deleted."

I don't see any reason not to allow that.  The point of the "no
patent-encumbered formats" restriction, as far as I understand it, is to
keep all our content available in fully free formats for both viewing
and editing.  *Also* providing a video in MPEG-4 doesn't make the Theora
version any less free or available.

-Mark