[Foundation-l] Copyright complaints

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Thu Feb 9 16:59:30 UTC 2006

Kim Bruning wrote:

>On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 06:12:04PM +0100, Kim Bruning wrote:
>

>>This is important for wikipolitical reasons on en.wikipedia. If I lose, my right
>>honerable opposition shall likely successfully endeavour to severely reduce copyright
>>checks on the english wikipedia.
>>

>The lack of response is deafening! :-P
>
>I guess I was mistaken. :-( I take it that copyright issues and incorrect use of fair
>use provisions are NOT a concern for the foundation at this moment in time?
>
>Due to the fact that copyright and fairuse checking is seen as disruptive on
>en.wikipedia, I suppose that priority must then be given to the community. I shall
>concede this point to my opposition, and request for copyright checks on
>en.wikipedia to be curtailed.
>
>sincerely,
>	Kim Bruning

I don't think that this is necessarily apathy on the part of people on
this mailing list, just that many list readers feel that most copyright
issues have been dealt with more or less adequately on the various
Wikimedia projects.  If you see improper fair use, mark it up with
appropriate editing tags and bring it to the attention of the
administrators of the various projects.  If you have a problem with some
admins not "getting it" and ignoring your complaints, bring it up on the
community forums first.  You might be pleasantly surprised by the
response you get, particularly if you mention specific fair use
problems.  For example:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikibooks%3AVotes_for_deletion#Images

deals with several copyright infringement issues I have been dealing
with.  I think this is more of an issue of education rather than
specific apathy on the part of the Wikimedia Foundation board.

I don't know what is going on with en.wikipedia as I am only an
occasional editor/contributor there and I've given up trying to keep up
with the Village Pump.  It just isn't my thing, although I do
occasionally take a peek every once in awhile.  If you can give some
specific details over what is happening, I would like to know some
details.  You asked for some stats and I gave them to you, for what I
could offer.  As far as copyright checking being seen as disruptive, I
would have to agree to a certain extent.  I also don't think you should
be so draconian as to suggest that every article on Wikipedia must have
a specific outside reference to every fact, and unless you can prove
that it is an original composition or copied with permission under the
GFDL (or compatable terms) that you should assume that it is a copyright
violation.

On this issue, trust the community.  I think they will get it right, and
it doesn't require outside intervention on the order you are asking.

--
Robert Scott Horning