[Foundation-l] Internal wiki(s) and confidential committee communications

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Feb 5 08:08:42 UTC 2006

Brion-

you raise excellent technical points. Of course, there are also security
issues with the existing implementation, such as file uploads, which are
openly accessible (don't know if they have been specially secured on
internal).

The fact that people keep asking for better access control functionality
may be a good reason to start thinking seriously about it, and it seems
to me that namespaces provide the best existing structural element for
this. They are relatively easily checked against, and already basically
considered by lots of special pages, including search.

Yes, it's going to be a PITA to make sure the system is secure in all
places. Since we will also start out with a smaller number of people
initially, the gradual implementation approach could be one with a
fairly steady risk. Also don't forget that it's always possible to
resort to hacks, such as simply starting out with two-level
functionality, where most special pages are entirely unavailable to
people who have only limited namespace access.

There are always different levels of confidentiality. If we're about to
sign a major deal with a major company, the terms of that deal being
leaked prematurely could kill it, and cost the foundation hundreds of
thousands of dollars. If we're working on a confidential response to an
accusation of libel in Wikipedia, said response being leaked would be
embarrassing and potentially cause minor legal issues, but not nearly as
bad.

If there are different levels of confidentiality, then it follows
logically that it makes sense to have different levels of trust, and
therefore different levels of access to information, because otherwise
your only option will be to go with the lowest common denominator. We do
not, for example, say that you either have full access to the servers,
or you don't have access at all. We have the toolserver, we have shell
access, we have root database access, and we have full root access.

It's not just about trust - it's also about competence and willingness
to do work in certain areas. Ultimately, why should someone who only
ever handles libel cases as part of some subcommittee need to know about
confidential deals which are being negotiated? It creates only risk and
no benefit.

The only remaining question then is whether it is easier and more
practical to have multiple confidential places (from which information
will have to be aggregated), or to modify our software to allow multiple
levels of access in a single installation. I would argue that a gradual
implementation of the latter strategy is more promising and scalable in
the long run. However, if you say that it cannot be done, it is pretty
much a no-go.

Erik