[Foundation-l] Swahili Machine Translation First Run Completed for enwiki-20060817

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Tue Aug 29 18:47:50 UTC 2006

Martin,

Thanks for the phone call today and let's get going on taking this off list
and getting the parser and grammar rules put together for the
translator. I think we
could get this machine assisted translation of over 90% after
application of a
set of grammar rules. I wanted to demonstrate how rapidly this could be done
and embrace the full wikipedia. As I said in the earlier post, I have not
applied any grammar, tensing, word pairing, or other rules, just a
simple word
by word and phrase translation. I am sending the materials we discussed
and I anticiapte we can get to 95% accuracy by the end of autum. This
would provide
an excellent basis for your African Languages Programs.

P.S. I agree that the public swahili dictionary is junk, BTW.

Jeff