[Foundation-l] Idea for New Wikimedia Project, possible adjunct to Wikiversity

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Tue Aug 29 01:20:44 UTC 2006

> No Spam wrote:
>
> ><Virgil Ierubino Wrote:>
> >

> >>I already have a live version of this in use, at Cambridge University, so
> >>I've already very thoroughly thought about the problems it could face, and
> >>worked out (I believe) viable ways around them. For now I'd like to just
> >>discuss the basic idea. The idea is clearer with a university example:
> >>

> >Virgil,
> >In your current implementation, at Cambridge, are you witnessing any change
> >in behavior from note takers?
> >I envision a moral hazard, or a kind-of prisoner's dilemma, manifested in
> >lazy students waiting for others to post notes.
> >Then, eventually, note-takers catch on and stop posting...
> >How's that playing out in your prototype setting?
> >
> It also needs to be remembered that in many instances the act of
> note-taking is a part of the learning process.  Reading notes does not
> have the same effect on the mind as actually writing them down where
> students will benefit from the notes even if they never review them
> again in the future.
>
> Ec

You're not one of those people who thinks that everyone learns the
same way, are you?

C'mon, once you've made it to Cambridge I think you deserve the right
to choose for yourself whether you learn better by writing things down
during class or by paying closer attention to your professor.  I know
from first hand experience, and as someone who graduated summa cum
laude, that there are some people in this world who can't effectively
do both at the same time.

Anthony