[Foundation-l] Celebrity pictures

Garion96 garion96 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 18:23:52 UTC 2006

On 8/27/06, Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since you really want this to happen here is my
> suggestion.  Draft a letter that you think appealing.
> Put together a spreadsheet of with all the address and
> appropriate personalizations for the mailing wizard
> substitution thing.  Submit this together with your
> proposal to both the communications committee and the
> special project committees.  Maybe one of them will be
> able to approve your letter and send it out all
> official-like.  I don't really know if they would but
> that has a better chance than anything else I can
> think of.

Thanks for your reply. I only want this to happen of course if there is a
chance for success. :)
I like Anthony's suggestion of putting up a page on meta for this. Since
english is not my native language it's probably better if someone else
writes it. If writing is the best way anyway. Perhaps that press
release/personal appeal Anthony mentioned where individual editors who
request images can link to would be much better.

Your original post seemed to be trying
> to find the best way to obtain these photos in a short
> time.  I don't think going through the Foundation will
> lead to good results here, and it definately will not
> be quick.

I think, but I might be wrong, that something coming from the foundation
would lead to better results.

To quote from anthony's mail. "Wikimedia is "powerful enough now that we can
insist on [free images], and get it, from just about any celebrity".  Joe
Schmoe Wikipedian is not, and if a dozen people contact someone claiming to
be acting on behalf of the foundation, even that power is quickly going to
dissipate."

Whether it will be quick, I do not think or expect that to be the case.

I just now and then get discouraged when I see the fair use images mess on
en.wikipedia. I do like it that we can use fair use though but it seem to
be used too easily. If some good responses come from this, it would diminish
a bit the excessive fair use there.

Garion96