[Foundation-l] proposed new project - wikistandards

Robert Scott Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Sat Aug 26 17:08:36 UTC 2006

Erik Moeller wrote:

>On 8/25/06, No Spam <nospam at cacace.org> wrote:
>

>>I would like to propose a new wikiproject, called wikistandards, in which the community at-large contributes to the creation of international standards (a wiki version of ANSI and ISO).
>>

>There is a working prototype of this project at
>http://www.wikiforstandards.org/
>
>There was considerable interest from the language standards community
>when this was first discussed, but interest dropped when we actually
>gave them a wiki to play with.

Likely because those who needed to know about it weren't aware of its
existance.  Thanks for pointing this website out.

I don't think its lack of activity has anything to do with a lack of
interest.  Standards development is one of those synergy concepts that
once you have something worthwhile to look at, that more and more people
come by and see what you are doing and try to extend it.  Until then, it
is largely ignored.  Getting that initial kernel of useful information
is very difficult in this case to set up and takes a few dedicated
people to get it going.  The same could be said about any wiki BTW.

I also think this group was trying far too narrow of a focus by sticking
only with language standards, but that is a personal opinion.

--
Robert Scott Horning