[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Foundation Website

SJ 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 10:52:15 UTC 2006

On 8/24/06, Guillaume Paumier <guillom.pom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 8/23/06, effe iets anders <effeietsanders at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Would it be an idea to make a team of people (not just one) who can
> > restructure the Wiki, categorize nicely, try to update, delete what is
> > unnessecairily (like the french version of the awards page: all empty
> > but the langbar) and coordinate with the translation-committee? It
> > should mostly be structural changes.
> >

> This is true, and Jd recently sent a mail on foundation-l about that [1].
> See also [2]. I think it is a good idea to set up a team dealing with
> cleaning the foundation wiki. Of course, this team must be multilingual to
> be efficient.

Yes.  As the for site's article goals, I would say:  it should aim to
present a detailed description of the foundation and its projects -
informed by, but more stable (and often more detailed) than Wikipedia
articles on the same.  Much of it should be written with a lay
audience in mind - the press, people not familiar with how wikis work.
 It should be the place to keep official announcements, reports,
recognition of support.  Older content should be kept in an archive,
but stable content and news should be highlighted.

And the site should showcase the diverse languages and efforts of the
organization; there should be clear categorization across languages,
prominent interlanguage links, active inclusion of smaller projects in
commentary.  Translation priorities for the site's pages.  The main
pages should be rather static, with attention paid to translating
updates (changes to those pages could trigger mail to an appropriate
list), and editors from core languages should review the site's
content peroidically.  Once the task is better-defined, an interested
translation team could be found, as guillaume suggests.

SJ

> If help if needed for translation, I'm sure you can ask on translators-l;
> people work on meta, then the team members check the translation and update
> content on the foundation wiki.
>
> g.
>
> [1] http://mail.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2006-August/008901.html
> [2] http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Babel#Miscellaneous