[Foundation-l] WG: Wikimania 2007 - get ready for the third edition.

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 16:13:31 UTC 2006

On 8/17/06, valdelli at bluemail.ch <valdelli at bluemail.ch> wrote:
> IMHO in Official requirements for bidding cities should be
> specified
> that town in country with local Wikimedia chapter are "strongly"
> supported in the final choice.
>
> IMHO the first problem is an organizational problem and if the
> Wikimedia's town is supported by a local chapter and other
> external
> chapters it means that WMF could confide in a group already
> present
> and organized.

Actually, allow me to disagree. I believe that Wikimania city ideas
should come from whoever feels like supporting them, whether or not
they are from a chapter. Of course, in a country with a chapter, help
from the chapter is appreciated, but not *needed*.

For the record, Frankfurt last year, as far as I can remember, was a
bid springing out from three individuals and was supported by
Wikimedia Deutschland *after* the city was chosen, not before.

> At moment I could read a lot of proposed towns without connection
> with local chapters (i.e. Geneva) which are only a "nice to have".
> In
> this moment these proposals seems to be only a brainstorming.

Yes, but brainstorming are gooooooood! I don't think the chapters
should try to take the bids into their stride or phagocytize them, but
rather allow for individuals to come with fresh ideas and help them
along the way if their ideas make sense, or not help them if they
don't want to.

Wikimania is a an international conference, not a national one...

Delphne
--
~notafish