[Foundation-l] Foundation's position on non-free images

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 15:52:05 UTC 2006

Hoi,
It is the Wikimedia Foundation that will be the one that will be served with
a notice of intent to go to court. It is also really nice when individual
contributors do not have to face this type of music.

All in all, I am not impressed with people who do not consider these things.

Then again, I am also on record that I do not agree that we cannot have
pictures that are trademarked and can be freely used with our content but
are not Free in that we are allowed to change these images.. Having logos in
Commons, would make the special position of the Wikimedia Foundation logos
not special anymore; it would make it a standard way of having logos and
have it in a legal way. The current paractie is imho not really defencible
as it is not consistent. Given that some insist that there should be no
exceptions to the notion of that at Commons everything should be "FREE",
these people are what makes progress on this impossible.

Thanks,
     GerardM