[Foundation-l] bylaws (second call) Beyond membership

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Aug 17 07:03:49 UTC 2006

This thoughtful analysis is consistent with my own views.  Another
Wikipedian has gone so far as to apply the undiplomatic term "stacked
board".  It is not constructive to treat that view as an "insult"; it is
simply not difficult to arrive at that perception based only on the
current by-laws as they are written.

Two important points by Brad that sunk in at Wikimania are that the
Foundation is distinct from the community, and, even more importantly,
that most of what we are doing is leading us into uncharted legal
territory.  If we are to go forward into that uncharted territory we
need to abandon any preconceptions about how an organization runs, and
give ample consideration to all the details that we are likely to
encounter.  There is no need to blindly accept corporatist assumptions.
It is also an acute observation to point out that WMF is a foundation in
name only.  As I have always understood that term, a foundation is set
up for the sole purpose of managing a pool of funds to other charitable
organizations who in turn perform the good works.  These foundations
often begin with an impressive contribution, as has been the case with
the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.  WMF now has a cash reserve in
the bank which it did not have at the beginning.  Since then the
contributions have been from thousands of individuals who believed in
the underlying projects (mostly Wikipedia).

Membership is about belonging.  It's about believing that one's fifteen
minutes of fame was worth something.  Michael Snow rightly pointed out
that an exercise of the legal rights provided by Florida law would have
ridiculously little chance of success.  I suppose that it's a by-product
of legal training to look at rights with gavelled glasses.  If it ever
got to that we would be in much worse shape than we are now.  Contrast
membership with with the proposed reference to the "Community".  To me
that clause in context pats everybody on the back, and says, "Good job!
Now let the experts take over."  Some of us have had our fill of
experts, and believe that experts share a great deal of the
responsibility for creating the proprietary mess that we seek to
remedy.  We need proper membership.

Some interesting ideas have arisen about who should be a member.  Simply
basing it on paying a membership fee would likely be
counter-productive.  Perhaps it could be an option for some people, but
I doubt that it would ever account for a significant protion of our
membrship.  Using it as a way of involving people who are not on line
makes no sense since the nature of what we do depends on being on line.
Our existing by-laws provide for one of the elected directors to
represent paying members, but that discussion became bogged down over
who should become a member at a reduced rate.  I don't see any will
anywhere to repeat that mistake.

Using a person's total edits on all projects as a qualification  may be
a workable idea.  This should work more easily with a single sign-on
scheme.  I would suggest a minimum of 200 edits in the past year.  This
should be enough to weed out sockpuppets and one day wonders..  Once a
person has  reached eligibility he would need to opt in.  Eligibility to
renew membership would follow the same lines.  A person who is
ineligible at renewal time  could be dropped from the membership roles.

I have no particular problem with having my name in a membership list
somewhere, but I realize that others do.  I would want to know more
about the Florid Statute before committing myself to a position on this.

Ec