[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Aug 16 16:53:02 UTC 2006

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>Michael R. Irwin wrote:
>

>>1.  The Wikimedia Foundation is not independent.  It has a stacked Board
>>designed by Jimbo to allow him to maintain personal control.
>>

>This is an insult to the board.
>
>--Jimbo

Adding two more seats will forever destroy this inaccurate and
misleading perception. I have heard it from several
other folks who are external observers to the Wikipedia phenomena and
its "urban legend" type of talk -- not based in fact --
and not based upon any emperical observations. I believe the root of the
misperception is how the by laws are worded.
If it were me, I would appoint these two additional positions from the
Foundations major financial contributors or foundations
supporting Wikipedia's fine work to balance out the various
representation and views.

Jeff