[Foundation-l] Wikiversity

Jeffrey V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Wed Aug 16 08:31:56 UTC 2006

Michael R. Irwin wrote:

>Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>Has anyone considered the possibility of actually instrumenting an
>>online course of instruction (beyond creating the content) and applying
>>for accredidation of the whole project and going after real funding?
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>Various naysayers were intensely against this including members of the
>Board.
>
>There was a lot of concern that long term efforts necessary to become
>accredited would be misused, misrepresented, and misunderstood by
>various users of the site.   Rather than encouraging individuals or
>teams of volunteers to begin long term investigations, the entire issue
>was essentially tabled for after we have an effective Wikiversity site
>and community of participants thriving.

Well, this is a reasonable plan. I intend to proceed with publishing
hard cover books
of the Cherokee translations for our internal use. It could be extended
to English and we
have the ability to accredit and approve the content after thorough
review. I discussed
the plan with Dr. Delso this evening and we are going to incorporate the
Cherokee translations
into our approved curricullum. I realize the Foundation is not a
University, however, we
have one and its accredited and I am on its Board of Trustees. At some
point, when you feel
ready, we will be available to review this as a possibility. I
appreciate your response and
well thought out position on the matter.

Jeff