[Foundation-l] Wikiversity license

Erik Moeller eloquence at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 19:41:59 UTC 2006

On 8/15/06, Amgine <amgine at saewyc.net> wrote:

> "I now understand why the GFDL is a bad license." Eben Moglen,
> Wikimania 2006

Which doesn't mean that it cannot be improved. There's a real effort
underway to do so.

I'm not sure GFDL is the best license for Wikiversity. It depends on
the amount of content mixing with other projects that is desired. I
suspect that imports from other projects will be likely to create
educational materials of different kinds, such as instructional
devices embedding Wikipedia articles. From that perspective, the
compatibility advantage of GFDL could be a compelling argument.

I do agree that the Wikiversity community should discuss the issue, in
a similar way it was discussed on Wikinews after the project was set
up.

Erik