[Foundation-l] board, babysitting, speaking engagements, etc.

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sat Aug 12 21:06:41 UTC 2006

In a message dated 8/12/2006 4:53:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
beesley at gmail.com writes:

On  8/12/06, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
> This  conversation had jumped back and forth from single-instance expenses
>  (eg. babysitting costs) to much larger issues such as speakers fees. With
the
> number of speaking requests pouring in to the Foundation (and they  come in
at
> an  ever increasing rate), I want to suggest the  following guidelines for
board
>  members and others giving talks  about the Foundation.

What about the requests that don't come in via an  official Foundation
address? If individuals are approached, are you  expecting them to
follow these guidelines, or would those not count as  official
Foundation talks? Do we have any way of knowing which events  are
expecting an official representative of the  Foundation?
All speaking requests in which people go out and represent the Foundation
should be under the auspicies and supervision of the Foundation. The Foundation
should know who is going out speaking on its behalf, what they are saying,
and  to whom--especially when registered trademarks and logos are concerned. We
are  wary of people misusing our logo and trademark on websites--why should we
not be  equally wary of people misusing our logo and trademark in the real
world?  Finally, when people contact the Foundation asking for a speaker, it is
safe to  assume that they expect an "official representative."

> 7. The Speaker Subcommittee will also request an  honorarium
> , to be paid to the Foundation, for providing a  speaker.

Are you suggesting that this Subcommittee would only send  people if an
honorarium was to be received? Or would you just be requesting  it on
the slim chance there is one? Considering I've only ever once  been
offered one, it doesn't seem very likely most speakers are going  to
get this, unless you want to start turning down the opportunity  to
promote the projects except in the very rare cases where money will  be
involved.
No, I am suggesting that the Subcommittee request an honorarium as well as
expenses. It is possible that none will be available. The Subcommittee will
then  decide whether or not to send someone. Furthermore, as I mentioned earlier,
not  every request for a speaker must be met. It is also okay to say no for
any  number of reasons.

An additional point to consider is whether this subcommittee  will be
the ones booking the transport.

That would depend on who is paying for teh transportation.

Danny

Angela.