[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Aug 12 01:14:18 UTC 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:

>I am confused by this thread. It is starting with false assumptions (Board
>members are required to spend their own money for things) and builds on that to
> create further false assumptions (we have enough dot com millionaires on the
> Board).
>
>To the best of my knowledge:
>1. The expenses of Board members relating to Foundation work are covered by
>the Foundation. They do not come from the individual Board members' "personal
>savings."
>2. We currently have no dot com millionaires on the Board.
>3. Paying Board members for Board-related activities can be perceived  as a
>potential conflict of interests.
>4. In many non-profit organizations in the US--but not the WMF--Board
>membership is actually contingent upon making a significant donation to the
>organization.
>
>Please get the facts right when complaining about the Board and its  members.

Absolutely!  But the kind of false assumptions expressed by Erik are out
there, and they will continue to be out there whether any of us like it
or not.  Nevertheless, I feel more comfortable when those with the
concerns can express them openly where the situation can be peacefully
and patiently clarified ... even if it means being repetitious.

Ec