[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Aug 11 18:01:18 UTC 2006

Erik Zachte wrote:
> I really should have gone to bed a few hours earlier and have postponed any
> reaction to after a good night sleep. Too late, damage done.

No damage. :)

> Still I Anthere could have gotten a more cordial answer, instead of Jimbo's
> factual remark and a joke by someone else.

Yes.

> I suppose you mean the US law. We could have an interesting discussion of
> what the consequences are of the foundation being based in the US, but I
> suppose it would confuse matters now.

I think it is much worse in other countries.  I know that it is not
possible to be both an employee and a
board member at a UK charity, and I think it is the same for a Verein in
Germany.  In the US, it is possible that
someone could be a board member (for which they can not be paid, as far
as I know), and also have a different job
in the organization.  (For example, a programmer, community manager,
press liason, whatever.)

I thought that the question, as posed at the board panel, was absolutely
excellent, by the way.  I think it would be a
grand thing for board diversity if we could pay people at least something.

What we *can* do, and what we *will* do, is be generous within the
bounds of the law in terms of covering
legitimate expenses of board members related to their service.  For sure.

Also, as we are growing as an organization, it may well be that the
right solution to this is to have some excellent community
members as employees, and a much larger board of directors which acts
like a more traditional board of directors so that it can be a part-time
commitment.

--Jimbo