[Foundation-l] board candidacies

Anthony wikilegal at inbox.org
Thu Aug 10 17:16:41 UTC 2006

On 8/10/06, Anthere <anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A minor point
>
> But for Arno, absolutely all discussion pages for board candidacies on
> the english wikipedia.
>
> What are the implications in terms of international representation AND
> in terms of project representation ?
>
> ant

Internationally, it means that countries where the English languages
is widespread are probably going to have a greater representation.
Changing this would be likely be extremely difficult and/or expensive.
 And it's somewhat of a catch-22: Wikimedia probably won't have very
much representation from non-English speakers until it's easy for
Wikimedians of different languages to communicate with each other, but
until Wikimedia has more representation from non-English speakers
translation issues will probably remain a relatively low priority.

As for project representation, I don't think board members should be
representing individual projects in the first place.  Wikipedia is by
far the largest and most successful project, so it doesn't surprise me
that board candidates use that project for their discussion pages.

Anthony