[Foundation-l] Celebrity pictures

Garion96 garion96 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 21:43:46 UTC 2006

Regarding Jimmy Wales's comment here
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk%3APublicity_photos&diff=66922063&oldid=58823881
concerning
fair use.

To quote "In general, ordinary publicity photos of celebrities should not be
used in Wikipedia unless they are released under a free license. We are
powerful enough now that we can insist on this, and get it, from just about
any celebrity, or we can get a free photo in a number of different ways.
Using fair use in such cases discourages us from creatively looking for a
way to enlarge the commons."

Would it be a good idea if the foundation would ask for 'free' images from
big record companies (like Sony music entertainment), actor agencies etc. I
know any editor can do this, but it would definitely have a greater
chance of success if it is coming from the foundation.

Garion96