[Foundation-l] Willy on Wheels and ISP Reporting Changes

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Mon Aug 7 17:10:32 UTC 2006

Fred Bauder wrote:

>On Aug 7, 2006, at 9:49 AM, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>

>>I'll take the traces down then. If you need any more trace files on
>>Willy, let me know. I wanted to illustrate
>>what you can do with a forensic file system that not only captures
>>traffic, but does route discovery and detects
>>addresses behind proxies with modified cookies and other techniques. I
>>have some folks from the church who
>>use the wireless gateway and trace files to investigate porn usage
>>in a
>>local neighborhood as well. The Wiki
>>Appliances come installed with DSFS by default, so you can track down
>>anyone doing site abuse.
>>
>>Jeff
>>

>I chickened out when I connected to those. But let's keep talking
>about them.
>
>Fred

Ok. I think if you need any of them in the future I should create an
account in the server and give you access to
the entire library in a non-public forum so you can surgically extract
just the content needed for each case. We should
probably be careful about the accesses of legitimate people to the site
who may not want their IP info public. I
have offered to provide licensed copies of the DSFS file system at no
cost for the foundation or perhaps a standalone appliance
which will allow you and other folks to capture all network traffic for
Wikimedia. With this, you can track
down anyone anywhere anytime and provide ironclad forensic traces to
back up ISP reports. We have LARGE
customers using this technology. One of our appliances can capture full
traffic up to 500 megabyte/second loads. So
a single appliance could do all of Wikipedia and be 98% idle most of the
time.

Jeff