[Foundation-l] complaining to ISPs

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Fri Aug 4 23:23:54 UTC 2006

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

>Jack wrote:
>

>>>I would suggest creating a banned ISP listing with ranges based on
>>>persistent vandals, and when they suspend the accounts, you will unblock
>>>them
>>>at the firewall. It fixed my vandalism problems. I have 0% vandalism at
>>>the WikiGadugi site and I stuck it to WillyOnWheels.
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

>>Jeff, you shoulda made this a board election issue - you could
>>probably have gotten a ton of votes from all the good editors the
>>vandals are slowly driving off.
>>

>I think the other candidates can certainly use the same platform if they
>wish and I'll throw the code
>over the wall to the Foundation.
>
>I decided not to run for the position because,
>
>A) I don't have time to travel all over the place at my own expense and
>run three companies too, plus WikiGadugi.
>B) There are some folks in the community who would make a public stink
>and Jimbo's life mierable were I to be elected/appointed,
>and fracture and polarize the community (not that big a concern but not
>a good starting point).
>C) The Bylaws setup a 3-2 voting structure where the other board members
>are always going to get overruled on any vote that
>is not 5-0.
>D) The B&O Insurance won't cover any claims for the foundation board of
>trustees and I would have to get a policy from a group that handles
>non-profits like the foundation.
>E) I have too many irons in the fire as it is, and the WikiGadugi
>project and my other interests will suffer.
>F)  I am an excellent public speaker and look good in a suit, but a
>really good PR person is what's needed to be successful in this role
>who is young and vibrant to give it an excellent public image, not an
>old Cherokee Indian Grandfather.
>
>:-)
>
>Jeff

If they wanted me to do something like "project coordinator Native
American Languages Program",
I would do that and travel around and visit the tribes and promote
Wikipedia and that would be something that
would dovetail nicely, I do not think I can or should be on their Board.
I sit on too many Boards already
and when you are on more than three, your B&O insurance goes through the
roof ....

Jeff