[Foundation-l] Bot flagging, stewards, & bureaucrats

Jan Kulveit jk-wikifound at ks.cz
Fri Apr 28 19:29:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 05:27:02PM +0100, Sam Korn wrote:
> On 4/28/06, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Whether technically possible or not technically possible, Proxybot was
> > both a sysop and a bot on the cs.wikipedia.
> > His activity is to block ips :
> > http://cs.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Speciální%3ALog&type=block&user=Proxybot&page=
> >
> > Is that suitable that a bot also has a sysop status ?
>
> Perhaps more pertinently, why does this bot need bot status?  I don't
> believe being a bot hides your admin activites from the log or
> elsewhere.

>From experience with ProxyBot

With bot flag, the bot did not clutter RecentChanges. In Block
log etc. the activity was still visible.

The reason why ProxyBot was given both sysop and bot status
was exactly that - to avoid making RC changes cluttered with robotic
blocks.

>  Indeed, I can't
> actually imagine any circumstance where a bot needs sysop privileges
> to *edit*, which is the only area that botship (?) actually affects.

To delete huge ammount of pages.

Jan Kulveit - User:Wikimol