[Foundation-l] Optional advertisement on wikipedia

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Mon Apr 24 13:31:01 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:

>Michael R. Irwin wrote:
>

>>Delirium wrote:
>>

>>>The general rule is that a non-profit organization should have at least
>>>one-third of its annual income come from a combination of: governmental
>>>donations, donations from other public charities, and small (less than
>>>2% of total income each) donations from the general public and private
>>>charities (large donations can still have the first 2% counted).  If
>>>that all adds up to less than 1/3, things get considerably more complicated.
>>>
>>>Whether advertising income would cause a problem depends on how much we
>>>expect to get, and how much in large donations from private individuals
>>>and charities we typically get.
>>>

>>Interesting information.   Do you have any further detail.   Is the
>>above a good general guideline because it is mandated by law;  accepted
>>as good practice by accountants, IRS, rating organization, possible
>>donors or other?
>>
>>Any background you care to provide regarding where you gained this
>>knowledge would also be appreciated but I can follow up elsewhere if you
>>do not care to provide that private information on a public mailing list.
>>

>The official guidelines on the subject are in IRS publication 557,
>"Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization".  The relevant chapter for the
>Wikimedia Foundation is chapter 3 on 501(c)(3) organizations (online:
>http://www.irs.gov/publications/p557/ch03.html).
>
>I was a bit imprecise; these aren't requirements for all non-profit
>organizations, but specifically for 501(c)(3) organizations, the type
>that are required to be public charities.  That gives added benefits
>over private charities (like the Gates foundation), such as allowing
>people who donate money to deduct those donations from their taxes.  It
>also includes added requirements; for example, they must serve a public
>purpose (rather than a community or niche purpose), must spend their
>money on activities that advance that public purpose (not social
>activities), and must receive a substantial amount of their monetary
>support from the general public, either directly or through government
>entities or other public charities.  One-third support seems to be the
>official line above which the organization is safe; if the public
>support is less than that but above 10%, it's still possible to maintain
>the status, but things get trickier.

Excellent expansion and clarification Mark!  Thank you very much.   I
think that gives me as much knowledge as I wish to have on this subject
for the moment.   I do appreciate the links to further specific
information and will file this note for future reference if I ever get
involved in assisting with the launch or maintenance of a non profit.
Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Michael R. Irwin