[Foundation-l] Optional advertisement on wikipedia

Michael R. Irwin michael_irwin at verizon.net
Sun Apr 23 16:48:39 UTC 2006

Delirium wrote:

>Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>

>>I'd guess the open questions would be:
>>
>>1) How would this impact the charitable non-profit status of WMF?
>>

>The general rule is that a non-profit organization should have at least
>one-third of its annual income come from a combination of: governmental
>donations, donations from other public charities, and small (less than
>2% of total income each) donations from the general public and private
>charities (large donations can still have the first 2% counted).  If
>that all adds up to less than 1/3, things get considerably more complicated.
>
>Whether advertising income would cause a problem depends on how much we
>expect to get, and how much in large donations from private individuals
>and charities we typically get.
>
>-Mark

Interesting information.   Do you have any further detail.   Is the
above a good general guideline because it is mandated by law;  accepted
as good practice by accountants, IRS, rating organization, possible
donors or other?

Any background you care to provide regarding where you gained this
knowledge would also be appreciated but I can follow up elsewhere if you
do not care to provide that private information on a public mailing list.

Thanks for the information.

Sincerely,
lazyquasar