[Foundation-l] Optional advertisement on wikipedia

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 07:25:53 UTC 2006

On 4/23/06, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
> I personally would not object to advertisement, as long as it's not
> intrusive (popups, flashing, pushing a significant portion of the
> article away from first page, etc.) and editorial independence is
> safeguarded. However, I do know that there also exist Wikipedia
> editors who do fiercely oppose it, and we might simply lose some of
> them.

No one who isn't some profit all costs would want that. Look at
mediawiki sites like wikia.com to see how advertising can be
integrated into mediawiki without being obnoxious.

> Having said that, I see some practical difficulty with your proposal.
> Would anonymous visitors and people who have not changed their
> settings see the advertisements? If yes (opt-out system), then I fear
> that the abovementioned people will still have the same strong
> objections. If no (opt-in system), then I doubt whether the amount of
> money generated by such advertising would be worth the trouble taken.

It isn't an opt in systems if anons get it by default.
I'd propose a fully opt in system for two strong reasons:

1) We can be reasonably confident that an opt-in system will not have
a substantial negative impact on the normal flow of donations.
2) It's the only solution which isn't likely to enrage some people.

There may be a place in the world for opt-out advertising, but it's a
fundamentally different issue.

> As said before, I personally think some simple advertisement would be
> a good way to raise some money, but I also know there is quite some
> resistance in the community about it. Or rather, there was such
> resistance a few years ago. Of course attitudes may have changed since
> then.

There is a lot of resistance, for some good reasons and for some bad
reasons. The absolutely enormous income possible from advertising
could have a tremendous impact, it could allow positive development
unparalleled in the world of free content... but it could also  create
a shift away from our most honorable goals.  I think people are right
to fear it.

But just because site wide, always on, reader impacting,
advertisements carry risks we find unacceptable, that doesn't mean we
must avoid minor things like opt-ins advertising for editors.

It's like the cafepress shop... doesn't bring in much money, but it
doesn't hurt either.. an no one seems to be leaving over it.