[Foundation-l] Lost money

Gregory Price gprice at hcs.harvard.edu
Thu Apr 20 20:05:21 UTC 2006

On 4/19/06, Brion Vibber <brion at pobox.com> wrote:
> Walter Vermeir wrote:
> > Is it really necessary to provide the normal donation form? Just put on
> > the error-page itself ( PayPal: donation at wikipedia.org ) and if that is
> > possible make from the email address a link to the website of PayPal to
> > a page where the can donate to the Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Please see prior discussion on this subject.

This response would be more helpful if it gave some hint
toward finding the prior discussion.

Walter's suggestion seems a good one.

I just went to PayPal and told it to send $10 to donation at wikipedia.org;
it tells me that the money (less their cut) went to a Verified Business Account
belonging to "Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.", which has the URL of
http://www.wikimedia.org/ and the email address of donations at wikipedia.org.
That looks like a successful transaction to me.

If to the static page we now serve for an error
we added a static mention of donation at wikipedia.org (or donations@)
and a static link to PayPal, it seems likely a good flow of money would open up.

So what am I missing (and Walter, and Anthony)?
What's in that past discussion -- or where can it be found?

Greg