[Foundation-l] Lost money

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Wed Apr 19 22:14:14 UTC 2006

Brion Vibber schreef:

>>It's only a small website isn't it? I bet the costs of moving to a
>>reliable, independent webhoster will easily pay off.
>

> Ah, but if Wikipedia is down, the traffic requirements for it will be HUGE. So
> you can't think of it as a "small website". When we previously tried mirroring
> the donation page on Angela's site it simply collapsed under the weight very
> shortly afterwards.
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

Is it really necessary to provide the normal donation form? Just put on
the error-page itself ( PayPal: donation at wikipedia.org ) and if that is
possible make from the email address a link to the website of PayPal to
a page where the can donate to the Wikimedia Foundation.

Side note (board/PR remark; I see the donation email address is
@wikipedia.org  Would it not be better to use @wikimedia.org or
@wikimediafoundation.org for that? People give money not to Wikipedia
but to the Foundation and also not especaily for Wikipedia.

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community