[Foundation-l] [Wikitech-l] Google Summer of Code

Dirk Riehle dirk at riehle.org
Mon Apr 17 14:18:41 UTC 2006

At 17.04.2006, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>Dirk Riehle wrote:
>
> >>can falter.  Additionally, as the Mozilla note mentioned,
> >>contributions that aren't part of the mainline will likely bitrot.  (I
> >>don't have a solution to this; just a cautionary note.)
> >>

> >Well, the main solution is to create an ecosystem where people get
> >hired to work (full-time) on providing such extensions (or additions
> >to the mainline) to MediaWiki. Only this setup can provide some continuity.
>What could be more important is to ensure that anything done for free
>stays free.  It would be shameful to have volunteer efforts tied up by
>someone else's patents.

Is that mostly a legal concern? (I.e. ambiguity of OSS licenses?)

I firmly believe that "commercial open-source software" won't fly in
the long run; most companies won't reach escape velocity. (Commercial
OSS defined here as software where a company keeps control over the
software, e.g. MySQL's dual-license model. MySQL is a notable
exception where it works because they got into the game early.)

What you need is an Eclipse Foundation like setup where large
corporations/system integrators make money on complementary services
and therefore can afford "altruistic" contributions to a real
open-source project like MediaWiki. Well, not only "afford" but "have to". :-)

Dirk